Callos is a combination of Filipino and Spanish dish that is mainly made of ox tripe. It’s definitely one unique and delicious dish that you can prepare at home. The combination of all its ingredients makes it even more mouth watering.
Here’s how to cook Callos:
500g Ox Tripe
1 medium sized Carrots (cubed)
3 pcs Chinese Sausage (Chorizo de Bilbao)
1 can Vienna Sausage
1 small can Garbanzos
3 pcs Bell Peppers
1 tbsp. Tomato Paste
1/2 cup Tomato Sauce
1/2 Beef Stock or Water
1. Clean the Ox Tripe properly. Boil a good amount of water in a pot, add salt. Boil ox tripe for about an hour or until it’s tender. Cut into cubes and set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat some canola oil. Sauté onions and garlic.
3. Add boiled ox tripe. Pour in the beef stock. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add carrots and Chinese sausage. Cover for about 5 minutes.
5. Add Vienna sausage, garbanzos and bell peppers. Let it simmer for about a minute.
6. Add tomato paste and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for another minute.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
One of the local restaurants here in Iloilo City serves callos. And I’d say I love it. So I decided to learn how to make one at home. Others may add ox feet to this dish to add more flavor.
When boiling the ox tripe, you can use pressure cooker to shorten the process. Regular boiling may take an hour or two.
If you have any question about this recipe, drop a comment below or send me an email.
Watch how to cook Callos here: