You don’t have oven at home? No worries. This double-layered custard recipe using an amazing alternative method to bake. And that is using beach sand and some old cooking pot. This Custard Double-layered Cake would definitely satisfied your cravings.
Here’s how to cook Custard Double-layered Cake:
3 eggs (separate whites and yolks)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup flour
375 ml milk
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. On a large bowl, prepare 3 egg yolks.
2. Pour in water. Add the sugar. Whisk thoroughly.
3. Pour in melted butter. Whisk.
4. Add in shifted flour. Whisk.
5. Pour in some vanilla extract. Whisk.
6. Gradually pour in the milk. Whisk in between. Set aside.
7. On a different bowl, add in the egg whites.
8. Whisk until it become foamy. You can manually use an egg beater or an electric hand mixer.
9. Combine the egg foam to the first mixture.
10. Brush some butter on the baking pan.
11. Pour in the mixture.
1. Get your old cooking pot. Large enough for the baking pan to fit.
2. Prepare about 1 and 1/2 cup of beach sand.
3. Pour in the sand on the pot. Make sure it’s evenly distributed at the bottom of the pot.
4. Turn on the heat. Cover the pot and heat for 2 minutes.
5. Put the baking pan on pot, on top of the heated sand.
6. Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes in a low heat. You can check using a toothpick to know if the cake is ready. Just stick it into the center. If a wet batter is on the toothpick, you need more time to cook. If it’s clean, it’s done.
7. Put in a serving plate and sprinkle some caster or confectioner’s sugar.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
I decided to share this baking process because I’ve realized not all people have ovens at home. But that shouldn’t be the reason not to bake at home. And of corusem, beach sand is free.
Also, unlike the other custard cakes, this recipe will result to a two-layered cake. Very easy and stress-free to make.
If you have question, please drop me a message. I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
Watch how to cook Custard Double-layered Cake – Sand Baking (No oven):