Love to eat siomai but you don’t eat pork or chicken? You should give this Fish Siomai recipe a try. For this recipe, we will be using cream dory, but yes, you can use whatever fish you like. Knowing how to make siomai at home will not only satisfy your cravings, but it can also be a good business idea. For this one, we will be using Democrita’s Chili Garlic Sauce.
Here’s how to make Fish Siomai:
1 kg Cream Dory Fish Fillet
1 pc Carrot (finely chopped)
100g Green Beans (finely chopped)
1 medium sized Onion (finely chopped)
3 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
2 tbsp. All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup Cornstarch
1 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Oyster Sauce
1 tsp. Sesame Oil (optional)
1 pc Egg
- Heat some water with salt in a pan. Put in the fish and boil it until cooked. Drain water, shred and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine in cooked fish, carrots, green beans, onions, garlic, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, egg, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Start wrapping the siomai. Scoop a small amount of mixture at the center. Then place it in between your thumb and forefinger and start folding it in a circular motion. Repeat the process for all.
- Boil some water in a steamer. Brush some oil to avoid siomai from sticking Place the siomai inside steamer. Steam for about 10-15 minutes depending on its size.
- You can make your own chili garlic sauce (see our recipe here) or you can try Democrita’s Chili Garlic Sauce.
Serve with some sliced calamansi.
Note from Ren:
Made this recipe and my mother loved it. Especially she is doesn’t want to eat pork for her diet’s sake. So I know you’d love this recipe too.
If you have any question or suggestion about this recipe, drop a comment below or send me an email or direct message us on our Facebook Page.
Other recipes to try:
Watch on video:
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel to watch more Cooking Videos: