If you are not a fan of buying frozen fish balls, then you can definitely make some at home. It’s not that complicated to make, you can even use whatever fish you want. For this one, let’s use hasa hasa fish.
Here’s how to make Hasa Hasa FishBalls and Fish Ball Sauce Recipe:
500g or 3 Pieces Hasa Hasa Fish (short mackerel) (guts and gills removed)
3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Cornstarch
1 medium sized Carrot (grated)
1 medium sized Onion (finely chopped)
4 cloves Garlic (finely minced)
1 stalk Green Onions (finely chopped)
3/4 cups Water
3/4 cup Water
1/2 cup Vinegar
1/2 cup Ketchup
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
Fresh Chilies (as many as you want)
1. Prep the fish. Slice both sides of the fish up until the head. Cut off the fish head. Then separate the bones from the meat. Using a spoon, start scraping the fish meat from it’s skin. (see video on how to do it).
2. In a large bowl, start combining the fish meat, carrots, onions, garlic, green onions, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, egg and season with salt and pepper. Then gradually add the water. Mix until you achieve the right texture.
3. Heat some canola oil in a pan. Then start forming the mixture into balls and drop them in a heated oil to fry. Brown both sides.
4. Use paper towel to remove excess oil.
Prepare the Sauce:
1. In a pan, just combine all the ingredients. Water, vinegar, ketchup, garlic and season with salt and pepper. In a low heat, let it simmer until you achieve the right consistency. You may need to add some cornstarch diluted in water if you want a thicker sauce.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
For me using hasa hasa fish (I’m not sure how you call it in other places). It’s very easy to clean, less bones and has soft meat. You might also want to check my other Fish balls and fish ball sauce recipe here.
If you have any question about this recipe, drop a comment below, send me an email or a direct message on our Facebook Page.
Other Fish Recipes to try:
Watch how to make Hasa Hasa Fish Balls and Fish Balls Sauce Recipe here: