If you are looking for a healthy snack for your kids, you might want to try this kalabasa balls recipe. Instead of them eating junk foods, this is a perfect alternative. Adding some malunggay leaves will make it even healthier without them noticing it.
Here’s how to make Healthy Kalabasa Balls:
500g Kalabasa (Squash)
1/2 cup Malunggay Leaves
1.5 cup Cornstarch
1 medium sized Onion (finely chopped)
1/4 cup Green Onions (finely chopped)
3 cloves Garlic (finely chopped)
- Peel and clean the kalabasa. Then grate.
- Chop the malunggay leaves into smaller pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine in the grated kalabasa and chopped malunggay leaves. Then add in the cornstarch and egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide into two parts and set aside half of the mixture.
- On the remaining half, add in the onion, garlic and green onions.
- Start forming them into balls.
- With the remaining half of the mixture. Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture, and before forming them into balls put a cheese cube at the center.
- Heat some oil and fry until golden brown.
- Prepare the dip by mixing the banana ketchup and mayonnaise.
Serve and Enjoy two different flavors of healthy kalabasa balls!
Note from Ren:
It’s my mother who introduced this snack to me. You can divide the mixture into two. One with onions and garlic and the other don’t. It is perfect for kids, just add a cube of cheese at the center to make it even more enticing.
If you have any question or suggestion about this recipe, drop a comment below or send me an email or direct message us on our Facebook Page.
Other recipes to try: