If there’s one usual scene that you’d see on the Philippines streets, that people flocking in a fish ball stand vendor. Fish balls is one common and all-time favorite street food of the Filipinos. Yet instead of buying it outside, why don’t you try cooking fish balls at home? Very easy and you can eat all you can. You can also make your own delicious fish ball sauce that suits your taste.
Here’s how to prepare Homemade Fish Balls and Fish Ball Sauce:
400g creamdory fish (fillet) You can also use other fish, as long at it has white meat.
1 carrot (finely chopped)
2 medium sized onion (finely chopped)
8 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 tbsp. of green onions (finely chopped)
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. ginger extract
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp chopped fresh chili
fish ball sticks (optional)
1. Wrap the fish in a foil. Steam for about 15 minutes.
2. Let cool and shred.
3. In a large bowl, combine the shredded fish, carrots, onions, garlic and ginger extract. Mix partially.
4. Add in half cup of flour and half cup of corn starch. Then season with chili powder, salt and pepper.
5. Add one egg and mix well. Let the mixture settle for about 10 minutes or you can chill it for about 5 minutes if you want it crispy.
6. Form the mixture into balls. You can scoop it using a spoon or use your palms to form them into balls.
7. In a pot, put a good amount of oil.
8. Drop in the balls and cook until brown.
For the Sauce:
1. In a pan, pour in about 1 cup of water.
2. Pour in half a cup of flour, whisk well until the flour blends in.
3. Add in the onions, garlic and fresh chili.
4. Season with brown sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Stir continuously until you get the right consistency.
Ready and Serve with Sauce!
Note from Delish:
I love fish balls!!! That what makes me try to prepare this recipe at home. I’d realize it’s not that hard, and you can “eat-all-you-can”. It would only take about half an hour or so to prepare everything.
For the sauce, you can also make your own, depending on what you like. You want it sweet or hot. It’s up to you.
If you have questions about this recipe, please drop me a message!
Watch how to cook Homemade Fish Balls and Fish Ball Sauce Recipe here: