Have you been craving for empanada and you can’t find a vendor in your area so you can satisfy your cravings? Well, probably it’s time for you to know how to make one at home.
Here’s how to make Empanada:
For the dough:
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Milk
For the Filling:
500g Ground Pork
250g Mixed Veggies (carrots, peas and sweet corn)
2 pcs. Potatoes (small cubes)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 medium sized Onion (chopped)
1 Egg (for egg wash)
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the dough. All-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Then add in the butter, egg, and milk (gradually). Until you get the right texture. (it definitely requires using your hands to knead :).
- Take out the dough out of the bowl and start kneading in a flat surface. Form it into a ball. Then cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. In a pan, heat some oil then saute onion and garlic.
- Add in the ground pork. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the mixed veggies and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, cook for another 10 minutes. Set aside and let it cool.
- Take out the dough out of the fridge. Knead it one more time. Then divide into small equal parts. Form it into a ball and use a rolling pin to create a thin disc. Don’t worry if it isn’t a perfect circle.
- Scoop a good amount of the filling and put it at the center of the dough. Flip one side to seal. Initial sealing, just do some pinching on the edges. Then finally, use a fork and press the edges.
- Brush the empanadas with (egg wash, water and egg mixture). Bake for about 20 minutes at 125 °C.
- You can also fry them. Just heat a good amount of oil, fry both sides until golden brown. Use a paper towel to remove excess oil.
Serve and Enjoy!
Note from Ren:
Some may add raisins on the filling mixture. But I just excluded it since I am not really a fan of raisins. But you can add if you want to.
Also, I’ve used frozen mixed veggies, but you can use the fresh ones too.
If you have any question or suggestion about this recipe, drop a comment below or send me an email or direct message us on our Facebook page.
Other recipes to try:
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube Channel to watch more Cooking Videos: