I’ve seen a lot of people talking about this Onigiri that they bought from a convenience store and since I can’t find one in my area, I decided to make my own at home. The process is pretty simple and you will only need few items to make your own Japanese Rice Balls at home.
Here’s How to Make Homemade Japanese Rices Balls or Onigiri:
Tuna Flakes in Oil
Roasted Sesame Seeds
- Cooked the rice as usual. You can use Japanese or any good quality white rice. Let it cool a bit.
- Drain the oil from the can, put tuna in a bowl and mash to remove the chunks.
- Add in the Kewpie Mayo, soy sauce and season with pepper. Mix until properly incorporated. Set aside.
- Cut the nori wrapper into 3 parts.
- To wrap. Wet your hands with water and rub some salt all over your palm.
- Scoop a handful of cooked rice, flatten it out on your palm, scoop some tuna mixture and put in the middle of the rice and cover it up to form a ball.
- Then start forming it into a triangular shape. Place and wrap it with nori. (see video here).
- Finally, sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on top and put a bit of the tuna mixture.
Note from Ren:
If you don’t have the kewpie mayo, you can use the regular mayo. But to make it taste a lot authentic, Japanese Kewpie mayo is great to use. I did not include any measurement since it’s really up to you how much mayo you want to add.
If you have further questions and suggestions, drop a comment below or send me an email or direct message us on our Facebook Page.
Other recipes to try:
Get your own Masflex Cookware from Shopee: