This is an original Ilonggo recipe. Almost of its ingredients are widely available in Iloilo and not much in other places. But there’s always an alternative.
It is much more similar to Sinigang, but less sour in taste and it has some added beans on it. It is important to throw away the first water that you use to boil the pork pata to get rid of some lard and other impurities.
Check out how to cook KBL (Kadyos Baboy Langka) here:
Pork Pata (5 slices)
1/4 kl jackfruit (raw and cut into cubes)
1 cup pigeon peas (kadyos) (soaked in water overnight)
5 pieces batwan (or sinigang mix)
1 lemongrass stalk
12 cups of water (this should be divided in two batches)
3 fresh sili
6 pieces winged beans (balagay or sigarilyas)
3 string beans stalk (sliced)
1/2 cup camote/sweet potato leaves
4 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1. Bring 6 cups of water into boil, add salt and put in sliced pata. Boil for about 5 minutes.
2. Then drain the pork, throw away the water.
3. Add the remaining 6 cups of water. Bring to boil.
4. Add in the lemongrass, garlic and onion.
5. Add in the jackfruit, pigeon peas and batwan.
6. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes or until the pork and jackfruitget tender.
7. Add in salt, pepper, soy sauce and fresh chili.
8. Add in winged beans and string beans.
9. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Lastly, add in camote/sweet potato leaves. Cover for a minutes.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
KBL or Kadyos Baboy Langka is a native recipe in Iloilo City. They say it’s our own version of Sinigang. You’ll notice that some of the ingredients are not available in some places, they can only be found in Iloilo City.
For instance, batwan, which is one sour fruit that we use instead of tamarind or ginisa mix. And it has a distinct taste that makes KBL unique. Only real ilonggos know what a batwan is.
Kadyos is another main ingredient which is widely available in Iloilo, not much in other areas. It’s purple skin gives that distinct color to this recipe.
Remember, when cooking KBL, you have to consider that Kadyos and Langka requires some time to cook. So put them first. For kadyos, soaking it overnight will help a lot.
Normally, KBL recipes don’t have string beans or winged beans. But in this case, I wanted to add more flavor and color to the recipe so I added both.
If you have any questions, please drop me a message.
Watch how to cook KBL here: