After getting tons of questions about lye water and what’s a great alternative for it, now I have this kutsinta recipe without lye water. Since kutsinta is probably one of the most loved snack in the country, knowing how to prepare it easy and fast is important.
Here’s how to cook Kutsinta without Lye Water:
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cassava starch
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. annato/atsuete (powdered/fresh seed soaked in hot water)
1 1/2 cups water
1. In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients first. All purpose flour, cassava starch, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
2. Then pour in the annato and water. Give it a good mixing.
3. Strain to remove lumps and make the mixture smooth.
4. In Masflex Steamer, boil some amount of water.
5. When it starts to boil, arrange the molders (brushed with some cooking oil to avoid kutsinta from sticking to the molders).
6. Pour in a good amount of the mixture.
7. Cover and steam for about 30-40 minutes. Remember, steam the kutsinta in LOW HEAT. Or you’d end up with a sloppy textured kutsinta.
8. Top them with some fresh grated coconut meat or cheese.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
I would say, this is one of the most requested and highly anticipated recipe that I have prepared thus far. And since I was receiving a lot of messages asking me about the lye water, I decided to prepare this “no lye water kutsinta”. And I’d love to share this to everyone.
If you have further questions about this recipe, just drop a comment below or shoot me an email.