This is one of the most requested recipe that I received. Rice puto is one popular rice snack in the country. It’s just so easy to prepare and only require three main ingredients. So if you are craving for rice puto, you might love how to make one at home.
Here’s how to cook Rice Puto:
1/2 kilo white rice
2 tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1. Wash the rice thoroughly, then soak it overnight. Water should be enough to cover the rice.
2. After soaking, grind the rice to produce rice batter. (You can use a blender, but mine I brought it to the local market for grinding to make things easy for me)
3. Meanwhile, prepare the banana leaves. Heat it on top of the stove. That way, it will make the leaves easy to cut and to handle.
4. Cut them into smaller sizes, enough to fit the molders.
5. Place them in the molders while rubbing some amount of cooking oil to avoid the puto from sticking to the leaves.
6. After grinding, you’ll have the smooth rice batter. Add in the baking powder and the white sugar. Mixed everything well using a whisker.
7. Boil some water on the Masflex Steamer. Once it starts boiling, put in the molders while pouring the rice batter.
8. Cover and steam for about 20-30 minutes.
Ready and Serve!
Note from Delish:
This is one simple way of preparing rice puto. I got this process from my mother who once was selling puto rice at home. She even receives orders occasionally.
You can also add coconut milk if you want to. But for me to make it’s shelf life a bit longer, I didn’t coconut milk.
If you have any questions, please drop a comment below or shoot me an email.
Watch how to cook Rice Puto here: